Czeching In!

I have always been passionate about writing and adventure, and I decided that I wanted to share my experiences and the lessons that God is teaching me on a platform that is easily accessible. Hence the beginning of this blog series! Welcome, to a space of vulnerability, a place of documenting the work that God is doing in my life :) I'm so glad you're here. 

Just shy of two weeks of living in Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic. WHAT! 

I often reflect on the faithfulness of God that led me to this point in my journey. Most days I wake up and cannot believe that I am actually here. This call on my life has been years in the making, and this specific call to the Czech has been nine months in the making - really two years if you count COVID's cancellation of the first planned trip here in 2020. Yet, God has not left me for a moment. He has been present in the midst of my fears, disappointments, discouragements, celebrations, moments of joy and excitement, and everything else in between. 

I will be the first to admit that the adjustment to life here in the Czech hit me a lot harder than I had expected. I had just graduated college with a degree in Intercultural Ministry, so of course I was aware of culture shock and the effects that it had on people. But, I felt invincible. I would be completely fine, because this is what God had called me to, right? Not quite, sweet girl. 

After a six hour drive to Chicago, a nine hour plane ride to Germany, a four hour layover, another hour flight, a few bus stops in Prague, a two hour train ride, and a short ride in the car, I finally walked through the doors of my home away from home. I was exhausted. It was as if my body had been in survival mode for over 24-hours, running on no sleep and not processing anything that I had just been through. I was just trying to get from one place to the next without having any trouble that I hadn't taken the time to realize how big of a step I was actually taking. 

Leaving all that I know and love, my people, my home, my country, my favorite foods and things of comfort, it finally hit me. This feeling of utter isolation. I was living with a wonderful family of complete strangers, unable to speak the native language, frozen in my bedroom. I didn't sleep for the first week before 6 a.m. and even then, rest was not easily found. And yet, everything made me tired. Even the littlest of things had me in need of a nap. My appetite was completely gone, and when I did eat I felt nauseous.

If I am being completely honest, as soon as I stepped off the plane, I was like, "Cool. I did the hard thing. I can leave now." My body and mind fought hard against being here. But, I am thankful for the consistent love of my friends, family, host family, and even the stranger on the train who encouraged me, reminding me of my calling and all that God had equipped me with to do the work that He has called me to do here. And once my heart began to settle in, when I began unclench my fists, breathe deep, and simply relax, I was able to realize what a blessed opportunity I have. 

90 days. I have 90 days of living in a foreign place, serving the God that I love, building relationships with the kiddos at my school and young adults at my work and just loving them with all that I have. It truly is a gift. With each passing day, I settle in and recognize that everything will be okay. I am enough because I am created in the image of the One who says I am enough. He makes me qualified in situations that I have no business being a part of. Which I think is one of the coolest parts of a life of communion with Jesus. 

So here's to 78 days left. Treasuring every opportunity that I find myself in and praising God in all circumstances. I look forward to sharing my journey with you all! 




Comments

  1. ♥️♥️ I love this and you!! I’ll be looking forward to these :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you Nicole!! I can’t wait to here more about your journey ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful testimony of what the first part of your journey has been. You are such an amazing witness to what the Lord can do if we simply obey. Praying for you honey and waiting to see what the Lord has next for you! Love you bunches!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In the Flow

Muddy Boots

Heart as a Garden