Seeking Refuge

I will be the first to admit that writing a blog in times like these feels incredibly insignificant and silly. With the attacks on Ukraine this week and hundreds of thousands of displaced, panicked people fleeing for their lives, it is difficult to sit idly by and type this to you. But, I want you to know that I am currently safe here in Hradec Kralove, and it seems that we will remain safe. Obviously, we have no way of knowing that with 100% certainty, but do we ever really have that certainty? No. 

Before the attacks on Thursday, there had been mere murmurs about the tensions rising, but nothing that I had thought too much about. It seemed like such a distant reality. 
And then, the day actually came.

While Ukraine is not directly next to the Czech Republic, the attacks still feel a little too close for my comfort. I began to panic over the reality of the situation and the ambiguity of the future. And then, God brought to my mind those thousands of people. Suddenly without a home, without the majority of their things, walking for miles and miles until they come to some place of refuge. 

I cannot fathom the strength of these people. Or the terror that they must feel. 
As an empath, to even attempt to grasp that level of emotion brings pain to my own body. 
My initial response: flee. Every fiber in my body wants to leave, because who knows what could be next. 

But, I have been reading through Hebrews again this morning, and different parts jumped out at me than before. The entire eleventh chapter of Hebrews is a description of the faith of some of the greatest heroes in the Bible, from Genesis to the apostles. Verse one says: "Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see." 

While I have no real answers about all that is happening now, I am able to have confidence that God is here, dwelling amongst His people. God is not far from the brokenhearted, the scared, the hurting. I have assurance that peace will reign, even when peace is not seen. 
I must have faith. 

And then I got to Chapter 13 of Hebrews, which serves as an exhortation and a call to action, really. 
"Keep on loving one another as brothers and sisters. Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by doing so some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it. Continue to remember those in prison, as if you were together with them in prison, and those who are mistreated, as if you yourself were suffering." 

It was as if God was asking me, would you let the refugees in, if given the chance? 
Would you show hospitality to hurting strangers?  

And I want my answer to be a wholehearted yes. Because I have been shown kindness and mercy from God and from many many other people, and I could have the tangible opportunity to do the same. 

I truly have no idea what the next couple of weeks hold. I only have 37 days left here. 
I ask that as you are praying, pray for the people of Ukraine. Pray for those who suddenly have nothing and are seeking refuge. Pray that God would usher in peace and safety for them as they journey. That the hearts of those in surrounding countries would be soft and willing hearts to help the hurting. 
The Czech has opened its borders to refugees, so there is a potential for them to be coming here over the next few weeks. 
Pray that I would have discernment in what I should do. Because I know that the enemy will continue to tell me to flee, but I do not want to run unless that is what the Lord is speaking to me. 
Pray that the hearts of people would be hungry for the hope that we have in Christ and that as opportunities arise, we would be ready to share of His goodness. 
Pray against the spirit of fear, in my own mind and in the lives of all of these people. 

I just ask that you would not grow weary in faithfully praying. It is our greatest weapon as Christians. And our prayers do not fall on deaf ears. I continually remind myself that God is our refuge and our strength. Our ever-present help in times of trouble.   


Photo retrieved from: https://www.aljazeera.com/gallery/2016/3/11/refugees-in-greece-in-a-never-ending-ordeal

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the Flow

Muddy Boots

Heart as a Garden